Sunday, May 29, 2016

a year after graduation


Wrote this post while I was at work earlier today because it was so slow. I kinda wanted to do a post similar to Indy's post.
As I'm seeing all these freshly new graduates from high school it brings back memories of my experiences after graduating.

(Be prepared for an embarrassing post- bear with me.)

Okay so what most people did after graduating was move out.... But, I'm broke girl so that didn't happen. Bummer, but I didn't really care because I was saving up money.

It was the summer after graduating.. I still had my high school job at Zupas but I needed something with better pay, because I didn't want to continue making minimum wage. I had ventured out to the calling center life, and found one. At the moment I was working both the jobs, so I was crazy busy for about a month- I was working 60 + hours a week. I was gonna quit Zupas after I had finished my training at this new job. I finished training and I was gone from Zupas. But on my 2nd day off of training, I couldn't do it anymore. It wasn't for me and I quit. I cried a bunch, felt like I failed. 

I put a hold on applying to other jobs until I got back from my humanitarian trip.
My trip to Peru changed me. That sounds crazy cheesy but I'm not even kidding, I came home and my anxiety was completely gone. My anxiety that I struggled with since a little girl was 100% gone. After traveling to another country by myself, I wasn't afraid of anything. It was amazing. I grew so much.
After I came home from my trip, I had to defer my enrollment at UVU because while I was away on my trip my school schedule became messed up and it was too late to fix it. My parents were upset. But I assured them I would find a job and work a ton in the mean time.

My friend referred me to her call center job at a credit card company. So I applied and got it. This job paid so so so well. But oh my it was awful, I dealt with more rude customers and the environment was awful- they didn't care about their employees, so what did I do? I left.
(Oh and  before I left I had bought a car, so yes I was in desperate need of a job.)
This was my 2nd failed job and I had promised my parents that I'd stick to a job. I felt awful.
But I wasn't completely discouraged! I went job searching some more and found a job working with insurance. But guess what? I knew nothing about insurance and it got to the point where I couldn't do it, I didn't understand the job and... Quit once again.
You know at this point before telling my parents I made sure I had another job. I applied to my favorite retail store and got the job! I was so happy, this was my dream job, I told my parents about it. They were uneasy at first but this job was gonna be it-they thought. I loved what I did, loved the company too! But my managers were the most rudest people I had ever met, especially my boss, she was very manipulative. And they were like this to everyone, my coworkers kept quitting.  No one could submit a complaint, because my horrible boss was the owner. I remember one day at work she had humiliated me a bunch of times in front of customers and my coworkers. It took everything in me not to cry in front of her. So after that shift, I thought long and hard.... I've always believed 100% if you are not happy with your life you have the ability to change it. But after quitting all these jobs I started to think that I was the problem. But my mama told me otherwise. She reassured me my happiness should be first priority, and that I could not continue to work at that job, I had to quit. So I did.
This was the 5TH job I had quit in less than 6 MONTHS.

Your girl was giving up and feeling like the ultimate failure. I could tell my family was a little disappointed too. The year was coming to an end and I didn't have a job. Luckily I had saved enough money from working those jobs to go to college the next semester which was Spring 2016. So college was set, but I still needed a job to continue to save for upcoming semesters oh and to pay off the car I just bought, my parents don't give me money and I don't expect them to either, I believe in working hard for your own things.

The day after I quit my retail job I heard on Pandora an ad about a job fair at Young Living that night. I knew nothing about Young Living, just that they were hiring for customer service, so yep... another call center job. But I was freaking desperate. I went in that night asking for a job application but the nice manager was like, "Heck, you don't need one, I'll give you an interview right now!"
And that night I walked away with a job. I had a super good feeling about this job. At the time it was December and the position started in January 2016. I had the perfect schedule that was gonna work with my school schedule.

January came and I was stoked about the changes that were coming. I was gonna start a new job and go back to school. I finally felt like I was doing something with my life.
And let me tell you, I freaking love it. My job is amazing and I enjoyed my first semester of college. I legit feel like I went through all those crappy jobs so I could land one at Young Living. If I didn't have that awful day that threw me over the edge at my retail job, I would have never quit and applied to YL. And if I hadn't deferred my fall semester I wouldn't have gotten all my amazing classes with my amazing professors. I felt so blessed. I am so blessed. You know, sometimes we think God has completely left us and forgotten about us but little do we know he has a reason and has a plan.

Growing up is still hard on me. Almost all my friends have left on missions and a few have gotten married and I feel alone A LOT. Most weekends I'm just chilling at home, and I can't call up my best friend to go on midnight burger runs. But through this, I've learned to be more independent.
I feel a lot of pressure to either go on a mission or find a boy to marry asap. It sucks because people judge you and think you're not doing anything useful with your life.
But it's not true, it's 100% not true. You do whatever makes you happy and in your own time. 
I'm just chilling tbh. I haven't decided if I should serve a mission or not.. At the moment I'm leaning more towards not but I still have time to decide I don't have to rush anything. Also I am 19 freaking years old, just because a few people are getting married at my age does not mean my time is running up?? I'm a baby, and don't wish to marry anytime soon, let me be a college girl and go on dates!!!??

And that was my life after graduating high school. I'm still working at my amazing job and I'm going back to school again in the fall. 
Wish I could say it was easy for me to transition to the "adult life"... but if this girl can go through all the hell I went through.. You can too babe. You got this.

ps. sorry this post was so sloppy and terribly written. I wrote this quickly at work.


2015
a year later...

2016


/daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment